UC San Diego UCSD Logo For PrintingSkip navigation links



Global Operations

Global Heath, Safety, and Security

Travel Insurance

  • Coverage
    It is recommended that faculty, staff and students who are travelling abroad register for UC San Diego’s free travel insurance through ACE USA.  When traveling on official university business, employees are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day, for a wide variety of accidents and incidents. Please note you do not need to register for this insurance if you are travelling in-state.  The travel insurance coverage is provided at no cost to the employee, but employees must register out-of-state and travel abroad to ensure coverage.
      • Foreign Travel Accident and Sickness Claim - Word
      • Accidental Dismemberment Claim - Word
      • Travel Disability Claim - Word
      • Travel Accidental Death Claim - Word
      • Loss of Personal Effects and Money Claim - Word
      • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Claim - Word
      • Travel Accident and Sickness Claim - Word
      • Accidental Dismemberment Claim - Word
      • Travel Accidental Death Claim - Word

    After you have registered for travel insurance, you will receive an email from WorldcueTraveler@ijet.com providing the policy number, warning alerts, and contact and claim information. You will also be asked to access your Worldcue Traveler site and provide current emergency contact information.

Worker's Compensation

If you are injured abroad you should get treatment immediately and then contact Susan Johnston (email: sjohnston@ucsd.edu; phone: (858)-534-0136) in the Office of Risk Management to get the appropriate workers’ compensation paperwork. Fill this paperwork out in full and submit to Ms. Johnston as soon as possible.  She will file the claim on your behalf and contact you with any questions or concerns.

International Cell Phones

It is highly recommended that you have a cell phone that works internationally.  Check with your provider to determine if your cell phone works internationally.  If you do not have an international cell phone, please ensure a person with whom you are travelling has a working cell phone.  If travelling for an extended period, check the World Electric Guide to ensure you have the appropriate adaptor for your phone’s charger.

Travel-Related Presentations

General Resources

  • Consulate/embassy information

    • The following page includes such information as location of the U.S. embassy or consulate in the subject country, unusual immigration practices, health conditions, minor political disturbances, unusual currency and entry regulations, crime and security information, and drug penalties.

    • Visa Information (U.S. Department of State)

UC San Diego-Specific Resources

UC San Diego Travel Safety Contacts

For more information, please contact the following:

  • Diana Olson, Liability Manager: phone (858)-534-3820; email: diolson@ucsd.edu.

  • Susan Johnston, Workers’ Compensation Manager: phone (858)-534-0136; email: sjohnston@ucsd.edu.

  • Jim Galvin, Opportunities Abroad and Faculty Led-Program Director: phone (858)-534-7857; email: jgalvin@ucsd.edu.


Terms & Conditions

Comments? Feedback? Click Here